Item mobile-menu-secondary not registered or doesn't have a view.php file.

How to register your intent to marry

You won’t necessarily be familiar with registering intent until you’re planning to get married in Ireland.

For anyone getting married in Ireland, let’s look at when this should be done and what documents are needed to register intent to marry officially.

Registering intent to marry is also known as ‘notification of marriage’. Either way if you’re an Irish citizen planning to get married, this is a step that no one talks about! Here is how to register your intent to marry in Ireland.

COST: €200 (This is non-refundable)
Note: There is a reduced fee of €50 for same-sex couples who are already in a civil partnership and now wish to marry.

What is ‘registering intent’ or making a ‘notification of marriage’?

The act of registering intent to marry or making a notification of marriage is required by law in Ireland ahead of a marriage in the state. This process officially informs the state that you and your other half plan to marry. Once all documents are in order, you will be given ‘permission’ by the state and issued a Marriage Registration Form (similar to a marriage license).

Do you have to register to marry if you don’t plan on having a religious ceremony?

Yes. Intent to marry needs to be registered for any marriages taking place in the state, including but not limited to civil, religious, and secular marriages in Ireland. 

How far in advance should you register your intent?

You must register your intent to marry a minimum of three months before your planned or proposed wedding date, whether in a civil, religious, or secular ceremony.

How do you register your intent to marry?

Firstly, you will need to contact your local Civil Registration Service for a postal Marriage Notification Form. This form should be completed and returned via email or post. Once the Marriage Notification Form has been completed and filed, you should move to make an appointment to register your intent with a Registrar.

What is a Marriage Notification Form?

This certificate or marriage license confirms there is no legal impediment (or issue) with you and your other half marrying. You will need this form to get married, and it is also necessary to register your marriage with the state after the fact.

This certificate will be signed by yourself, your other half, two appointed witnesses, and your celebrant or solemnizer after your marriage ceremony.

Where do I find my nearest office for the Civil Registration Service?

For Dublin, the office of the Civil Registration Service is located at –
Joyce House, 8 to 11 Lombard Street East, Dublin 2, D02 Y729

For Wicklow, the office of the Civil Registration Service is located at –
Health Centre, Glenside Road, Wicklow, A67 HX30

Find your nearest or local Civil Registration Service here.

What documents do I/we need to register our intent to marry?

There are several documents you both will need to register your intent to marry:

  • PPS Number
  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Proof of address (original and photocopy from within the last 3 months)
  • Final divorce, dissolution, or nullity decrees (if applicable)
  • Spouse or civil partner death certificate (if applicable)
  • Immigration status evidence (should you or your partner not be an Irish citizen or citizen of another EU state)
  • A completed data capture form

What else is needed?

You will, of course, need to have the €200 notification fee handy, or €50 for those already in a civil partnership but who now wish to marry.

You will also need the following:

  • Details of your date and location of the intended date of marriage
  • Details of proposed celebrant or solemniser
  • The names and dates of birth of your two proposed witnesses

We live abroad, can this process be done without traveling home?

If like us, you are living abroad where it is not feasible or affordable to fly home to register your intent and to receive your Marriage Notification Form – you can access and complete this process via post.

You will need to contact a Registrar to get permission to register your intent via post. Once this permission is granted, you will be sent a form that must be completed and returned.

However, you will still need to meet with the Registrar five days before your intended marriage date to sign a declaration form – be sure to build these five days into your wedding or annual leave. This step is required to be completed before a Registrar can issue a Marriage Registration Form.

My wedding had to be postponed because of Covid, is my Marriage Registration Form still valid?

If you have started the process within the three-month minimum required time frame, your Marriage Registration Form, once approved and once received, will be valid for six months after your original wedding date.

  1. My rescheduled wedding will be within six months of my original date.

If you’ve been through all the steps (ie. Registering intent, meeting with Registrar, etc.), your Marriage Registration Form is valid for 6 months after your original proposed wedding date. This allows you six months to reschedule your wedding date. To do this, you will need to contact the original office of Civil Registration, where you registered your intent to marry, and your Marriage Registration Form can be amended.

  • My rescheduled wedding will not be within six months of my original date.

If your rescheduled date is not within six months of your originally stated wedding date, you will have to go to the office of Civil Registration Service where you originally served your intent and inform them of your new date. Similar to the initial notice, this must be done within three months of the (new) proposed wedding date. You will meet with the Registrar, and a new Marriage Registration Form will be issued.

But the good news, if you have to go through this process – there is no additional charge; your original fee covers this change.

Share your love